Thursday, September 6, 2012

On Top and Far Away...



On arriving at my chosen spot just as the sun was setting on a glorious evening I noticed movement on the surface at a distance off the rocks, nothing unusual in that I thought, middle of summer, plenty of Mullet around...I selected a lure and began to fish as normal but again my eye was drawn to what now seemed to un-Mullet like movements coming from those fish. They we now regularly coming clean out of the water, probably Mackerel I thought. To satisfy my curiosity I looked to my metals and selected an Tackle House P-Boy Jig with a single hook and blasted it in the direction of the disturbances, bump bump on the retrieve but no hook up. Switched to a P-Boy with a treble and with the action now at the limit of my casting range I blasted off again and this time connected with who knows what? In my mind I was still thinking Mackerel or even Sea trout as I finally beached a small but energetic Bass !?! So in a summer where they've been hard to find I witness around fifty (Ok small) Bass hammering bait on the surface as if they're Stripers, amazing...