Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A couple for the day shift...



The day game has been pretty tough of late here but there was high drama on Saturday when two decent Bass appeared from nowhere in a kelp strewn gully I was fishing and chased down my small dark softie in crystal clear water and bright sunshine, before dissapearing in the blink of an eye.I returned to said gulley this evening and after pitching a Sebile Magic Swimmer Soft into two converging currents was delighted to hook this beauty, but the best was yet to come... 
I switched to a Spindle worm in Black Beer (Guinness maybe ?!?) + 7g Batchi head and ran it past my feet to "test" the action only for an exact repeat of Saturday's attack to occur again! This time it was a single fish and this time it didn't miss, after a brief battle at close range (I could have caught it on a hand line) a meaty 5lb+ fish was landed, photographed and released.
A few amazing details to consider are, 

  • I'd bet my house on it being the same fish as one of the two I saw on Saturday, behavior and size identical to the larger of those two fish. 
  • The gully was only 5 - 6ft deep, 
  • I'd landed the previous fish on top of where this fish attacked maybe 15 mins previously !?!

Bass fishing never fails to surprise me...