Thursday, December 29, 2011

River Bass.


This story was recently in the Uk newspapers. Apparently this 11lb 14oz  fish was caught and released on the River Avon near Christchurch in Dorset miles from the sea, the angler was fishing for Pike at the time. My family know this stretch of river well as my Father lived in Christchurch during World War II and the River Avon was the play area of him and his chums. Another reason this story's of interest to me is that I caught my first (Much smaller) Bass as a boy in freshwater from the adjacent River Stour just a few miles away. Bass are known to move up rivers especially large solitary fish, I remember being told a similar story about a big fish being caught well up a river in Wexford, on a dead bait intended for Pike, over Christmas a few years ago.