Sunday, June 2, 2013

Mullet on the Fly...

 
With the Irish Bass closed season well and truly upon us (15th May - 15th June) and as someone who's never shy of guided fishing I decided to head up to Kerry and team up with Pro Guide John Quinlan for some alternative fishing in the form of Mullet Fly action which turned out to be a very good call. John has put a lot of time into this and all aspects of the guided fishing services he offers and it was a real eye opener to experience the maggot oriented presentations he's developed. Just to prove how effective they are even I managed to hook and land one on my first cast which is quite amazing when you consider the Mullet's reputation as an almost un-catchable fish at times. I thoroughly enjoyed my 3 night stay during which I was very well looked after by John and his wife Lyne, I had some wonderful fishing experiences at a time of year when I'd normally be going up the wall's with frustration and I learnt some fascinating new techniques that I'll be taking back to West Cork with me...