Friday, May 3, 2013

New Camera...



Having looked at all the offerings in the compact waterproof camera market I finally settled on the Olympus Tough TG-1 for my fishing photography as an upgrade to the Pentax W60 & W90 I have used up until now and will continue to use alongside the TG-1. I looked at the other brands and also considered the later model the TG-2 but it's larger, heavier, has features I don't need and is of course quite a bit more expensive. The TG range are the first compact waterproofs I've come across that will take external lenses for both additional zoom and also fish eye which are screwed in after removing the threaded ring around the lens and do not affect the watertight integrity of the camera. It remains to be seen how much they contribute but they can only improve things I would have thought, I will make sure the basic camera performace is worth it before investing further...

I'm pleased to say I was able to "Shop local" in these tough economic times rather than going the internet route, having found one at the Dublin Camera Exchange who gave me some sound advice and a good deal including a free 4GB memory card along with free postage. 


I'd dearly love to be using a DSLR at this stage but, even with a waterproof case, when fishing I don't think it would last long and I don't want to be lugging one around with me when I can carry two compacts in the breast pockets of my wading jacket and not even notice they are there, 


I just just need some fine looking fish to point them at now!