Monday, July 30, 2012

As Day follows Night...


Despite it being the weakest tide of the cycle a chance to fish the extremes of  night presented itself so Michael Quirke and I joined forces again at the weekend and agreed to meet at mine for 3.00am to head off and fish a bay on the falling tide which we duly did. We found the bay to be free of suspended weed so fishing hard plastics was no problem. Wading in the clear water I was fascinated by the streams of phosphorescence swirling of my waders as I felt my way around under the stars casting into in the darkness probing around the water column in search of a fish. Michael moved from the open strand onto a rocky point and got hit by fish a few times but didn't connect, buoyed up by the presence of active fish I joined him and we concentrated our efforts here as the dawn slowly broke behind us. Sensing that our chances of finding a fish or two in open water were decreasing fast as the light levels increased, I moved on to another section of the strand and after a few casts I connected with a fish which I got to the surface before it threw the hooks and the line went slack, tough going but the results so far were about what we’ve come to expect of the fishing this “Summer”. With the sun well on its way up we returned to the car and headed off for a deeper water rock mark which we fished intensively with soft plastics and metals to no avail until, just as we were about to call it a morning and head to our homes for a well earned rest, this most welcome fish grabbed my Wakasagi (Dark Brown/Silver Fleck) Spindle Worm mounted on a 7g Batchi jig! So, not a great session numbers wise, probably about par for the course at the moment, but very enjoyable all the same...