Monday, October 3, 2011

Joy on a sunny day....

I was delighted to land this 7lb 8oz beauty from an estuary a couple of weeks ago and its not difficult for me to remember the day as we've hardly seen the sun since! With a few exceptions, my normal size fish for this spot would be 2 - 3 lbs so I was thrilled to feel the power of this fish and pleasantly surprised to hook anything in the bright still conditions of that day. I really took my time landing this one as I'd opted for a 15lb flouro leader and a light wire Decoy Nail Bomb VJ-71 jig head on which to mount my Ayu pattern Xlayer softie to suit the calm clear open water I was fishing. As is often the way the fish was caught very early in the session and no further fish were landed. I never get bored with estuary fishing especially when the produce fish like this one.