Friday, July 8, 2011

Amazing...

Photo by Padraig Fitzmaurice.

Still catching here in Clare despite the changeable weather.  Yesterday  I returned to a spot I’ve called “The Flats”, with Padraig in lashing rain and a strong onshore wind. The water was soupy from the wild weather of the last few days but we fished anyway having made the effort to suit up and walk to the spot. To my total amazement I hooked this brute at close range, at first I thought it was a double but after measuring we decided to call it 9Lb, my best fish so far in 2011, which unbelievable for a day when we easily could not have bothered. A further smaller fish followed for me and Padraig hooked and lost a fish which put a good bend in his new rod. The lure that did the business again was the Daiwa shore line shiner  SL17-F, the retrieve was very slow with plenty of stops. I think the motion of the bigger lure gave the fish a chance to locate it in the murky water.....