Sunday, November 23, 2014

Does This Sound Familiar...



I've made my plans to fish a wild remote rocky point and set off along the shoreline in beautiful November sunshine, I take in all that's around me, the group of Oystercatchers eyeing me with great suspicion before taking to the air, the patterns that the surf makes on the beach the distribution of the kelp that's been thrown up the beach, it's and endless feast for the eyes and senses that's all changing by the second...Suddenly I stop in my tracks and my plan has instantly changed! What I've seen rings all the right bells in my Bass Fishing head...

Surf is pounding onto the boulder field in front of me creating those classic "Boils" indicating the depth is perfect for a fish or two to be patrolling the drop off from shallow to deeper waters, waiting for food to be washed out and provide an easy meal for the spiny ones who may be lurking  there with intent...I instantly see a line along which I want my lure to travel and I know without hesitation which lure it's going to be...I reach for the Shore Line Shiner 17-FG (A-7) with its stunning chartreuse back, pearl white flanks and day-glow orange belly, there could be no brighter lure for this the brightest of days.

A gentle breeze is in my face as I clip on and fire out the lure which arcs out perfectly on the line I had in mind and in sync with the surf, a few quick turns of the reel handle and the lure "Bites" into the back of a wave and we're fishing...I start to wind slowly, full of anticipation...after about the third or fourth turn... KABOOM!! FISH ON!! Now here's were I have to fess up to a schoolboy error. I've left the drag very loose, as is my habit, at the end of the previous session the night before and as I start to apply pressure I see the fish which looks to be of a good size break the surface and angrily throw its tail into the air creating a spray of white water but, although the line is tight I can't apply the pressure I want to. I lock the spool with my finger and stumble backward up the shingle as I frantically tighten the drag, a second or two later I think I'm back in control but it's all about to go horribly wrong...

As I tighten down on the fish and the rod starts to bend further, but still only moderately, disaster strikes and everything goes slack...I wind furiously in the the hope that the fish has decided to sprint towards me but alas it's not to be...inspection of the terminal tackle reveals the horrible truth...I've lost not only the fish but the lure (Barbs had been crushed) the clip and 1 meter of 25 lb flourocrbon leader - Devastated... I know from experience at this location and at this time of year it will probably take a lot of casting before I get my chance again and I'm right,   
4 hrs of casting later, after covering the whole bay I'm still fishless...

Clearly yet another case of - FIRST CAST SYNDROME - but with a nasty sting in it's fishy tail !!